Pinterest Verification

Friday, June 16, 2017

Friday Faves - Vol. 002



Happy Friday! This Father's Day weekend, my husband Matt and I are getting in lots of good family time. Saturday we're headed to my parent's home in the mountains to swim in the pool, take in the amazing mountain views at their log cabin, and celebrate Father's Day with my dad. Then late Saturday afternoon we're headed to the lake for a few days of my hubby's annual family vacation. I'm so excited for a relaxing weekend of drinking good beer, floating on the lake, hanging out with the cousins, reading on the porch, and playing flashlight tag. It's my idea of pure bliss. If you need some ideas for things to do this weekend, look below for some of my favorite things I've been watching, listening, and reading lately.

WATCHING:

Matt and I just finished watching season 5 of House of Cards which was another whirlwind of crazy, evil politics (that don't seem so crazy or evil these days). Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright are SO good at playing Frank and Claire Underwood, the ultimate politcal power couple. I thought the very last scene in season 5 was a perfect ending, too. I already can't wait until next season!

LISTENING:

Jen Gotch, the founder and CCO of one of my favorite brands, bando, is one of my absolute favorite people that I've never met but have been following for years through Instagram. She is a hilariously relatable and creative woman who is refreshingly open about her issues with anxiety and depression. Jen recently did an interview on the Flash Dance's Conference Call podcast and I loved listening to it for another glimpse into her life, work, and fabulous personality.

I've also been enjoying listening to the Lying in Lakes station on Google Play Music to help satisfy my itch to float on a lake until I actually get to do it this weekend.

READING:

I've really been into reading memoirs of my favorite ladies lately and just finished Talking as Fast as I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls, and Everything in Between by Lauren Graham, which I would highly recommend if you are a fan of Gilmore Girls and/or Parenthood (two of my all-time favorite comfort shows). She's a great writer and it's nice to read about her early life and behind-the-scenes experiences.

I just started (and also highly recommend) the audiobook of You'll Grow Out of It by comedian and TV writer Jessi Klein, which has had me laughing out loud at work all week. With memoirs, I usually like to listen to the audiobook rather than read them myself, because it's nice to hear the author's voice read the book as it was intended to be read and they often ad lib, which gives you a little extra bang for your buck.

I recently finished an awesome YA novel titled A Million Junes by Emily Henry. I thought it was fantastic and I couldn't put it down. It's made up of so many wonderful things: a sleepy lake town, sunlit forests, ghosts, magic, Michigan cherries, best friends, longstanding family fueds and a beautiful Romeo and Juliet-like love story. It held a lot of nostalgia for me as I previously lived in a children's book illustrator's house on a Christmas tree farm on the shores of Lake Michigan for my 8th grade year (I know, right?). It was the most magical place I've ever lived and the way Emily Henry describes Five Fingers made me think of my time in South Haven. The book gets a lot more supernatural-focused towards the end which got a little confusing at times but all in all it was a fantastic summer read.

Happy Father's Day (or whatever parental influence celebration you may have this weekend)!

XOXO,
Chelsea

*intro image by Jenn & Dave Stark from the Style Me Pretty vault

No comments:

Post a Comment