Pinterest Verification

Monday, December 1, 2014

SEASONAL SWOONS // WINTER 2014 EDITION

Oh, winter! How I love you! I get so excited when the cold finally comes and the hope of snow is in the air. I'm from the South where our winters are mild enough that the prospect of snow is still exciting. Something about knowing it will all melt within a couple of days makes it more of a fun surprise than a threat to life. I come from a long line of Midwesterners, so I understand how harsh it can get. One way I've found to try to beat the winter blues is to change the way I think about the season. Instead of focusing on how bloody cold it is outside, try to focus on the warmth of the fire and the coziness of gatherings with friends + family. Get a great pair of boots and conquer those snow puddles. Get some physical activity by going on a hike or trying a winter sport like snow-shoeing. Create hygge wherever you go. In my opinion, EVERY season has its merits. For winter, there's something special about the brisk mornings and nights, the smell of snow in the air, adding blankets to the bed, sipping hot beverages. It's the most wonderful time of the year, right? Here is my seasonal inspiration for winter this year...

I absolutely adore this green coat and oversized knit scarf as seen on The Sartorialist. CUTE and WARM!
I definitely want to stock up on this Homemade Apple Butter recipe from A Beautiful Mess. Perfect on whole-grain waffles or skillet cornbread!
Scandinavians just GET Christmas decor. I have a bit of Swedish blood myself so maybe that's one reason why I'm so drawn to their minimalist yet cozy style, like in this Scandinavian Winter House Tour.
This winter tablescape from PoppyTalk is perfection! I love the red + black buffalo plaid and the outdoorsy vibe created by the simple evergreens, berries & pinecones.
I'm planning on hosting a Gingerbread Neighborhood Construction Party later this month. I like this idea of using pretzels rods + sticks to make a log cabin. Will have to keep this in mind!




This crossbow from Best Made Co. would be a great gift for anyone in your life, but especially for an adventurous nephew or an older brother who is still a child-at-heart. A great way to get some outdoor physical fitness in the winter, too!
December 16th marks the first night of Hanukkah so break out the menorah and check out these latke recipes from Style at Home.
Every year it is CRUCIAL to find the perfect New Year's Eve frock! The Every Girl has got you covered with their [two-years-old but still current] feature on 6 Looks to Get You Through Every Festive Fete.
This winter I really want to be more outdoorsy and physically active. I live within an hour or two of many awesome mountain hiking trails with breathtaking winter vistas, like this one featured on Atlanta Trails.
Don't forget Valentine's Day, which falls in the last month of winter! I always thought it would be fun to host a Galentine's Brunch like this one from DesignLoveFest, featuring Heart Waffle Sandwiches with Prosciutto. YUM.

What are YOUR seasonal swoons for winter?

2 comments:

  1. Here's the veggie tray for your gingerbread party! https://www.facebook.com/HappyHerbivoreBlog/photos/a.196488333481.130404.57667278481/10152903392903482/?type=1

    ReplyDelete