Pinterest Verification

Monday, December 29, 2014

NEW YEAR'S EVE + DAY // TRADITIONS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254718/Times-Square-New-Years-Eve-Black-white-  photos-history-holiday.html

Happy almost New Year, kittens! And Happy Christmas [for those of you who celebrate]! I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday break and got a chance to get cozy with loved ones and have a bit of fun. I know I did. Now that Christmas is over, the focus shifts to the passing of the old year and the ringing in of a new one. I'm excited for 2015...2014 was a good year but it was more of a transitional one - I quit my job of ten years and started a new one, graduated from college, moved in with my boyfriend. In 2015 I'm hoping to have more time for FUN and TRAVEL and CREATIVITY. Here are a couple of my personal New Year's Eve and New Year's Day traditions from years past.

NEW YEAR'S EVE:

My New Year's Eve necessities are three-fold: champagne [duh] + sparklers + a midnight kiss. I've spent my NYE nights celebrating in every which way - at home with my parents, at bars downtown with friends + strangers, at home with my boyfriend, at house parties with friends, alone. I have yet to find the perfect way to celebrate [see: HIMYM season 1, episode 11] but lately I've been leaning more towards the quieter, more intimate celebration. This year I don't have any big plans except maybe some Thai food takeout with boyfriend and a Netflix marathon.

The only other New Year's Eve ritual I celebrate, besides my three necessities and counting down to midnight, is finding time to finalize my New Year's RESOLUTIONS. I am a HUGE fan of list-making, especially ones that have to do with goals but I can often get a little overboard with it. So I usually make sure to pare down and create my final list of resolutions sometime on New Year's Eve.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2254718/Times-Square-New-Years-Eve-Black-white-  photos-history-holiday.html

NEW YEAR'S DAY:

New Year's Day I like to SLEEP IN as late as possible and then wake up and put a pot of chili on the stove to slow-cook throughout the day. I usually try to get a winter walk in [even if it's just around the neighborhood] and then come home and eat chili and drink any leftover champagne. Usually the day also involves a lot of lounging around, reflecting on the past year and the new year ahead, and board games. Oh, and I can't forget the HOPPIN' JOHN and COLLARD GREENS - a Southern tradition that's supposed to bring you good luck and wealth in the new year. HERE is an old but interesting NYT article about variations of HOPPIN' JOHN [and there's even recipes included].

What are YOUR traditions and rituals for New Year's Eve and New Year's Day? Share with us in the comments below! And I will leave you with some great New Year's advice from Neil Gaiman HERE.

Here's to a magical year full of FUN and love and joy...HAPPY 2015! XOXO.

No comments:

Post a Comment